Sunday, May 3, 2009

Vacation is almost over

Hola All!

My parents left today... sad. But it was definitely fun to have them here. We got to go site seeing and see a bunch of cool stuff. But the best story of the week is by far this one.... So I've mentioned this before, but they filmed the parts of the 2nd and 3rd Pirates of the Caribbean movies here. The parts that have to do with Tia Dalma on the river, we're filmed VERY NEAR campus. They actually built little houses for the directors and cast that I saw as we were walking on the beach on Monday (i had never noticed them before). Anyways, the river they used was the Indian River, and you can pay to have someone row you up it, because motors are not allowed in the national park, so I called a company to arrange diner in the national park and to have someone row us up there. So we drive and park by the river, and our rower crosses the street and I say "Are you from Cobra?" (cobra is the company I called earlier) and he says, "yes, they told me you were coming." So we all go and hop in his rowboat and start the tour up the river. We are about half way up the river when my phone starts ringing... total mod killer there... ha. But whats even better is that I answer and the woman on the other end asks me- are you still coming? the boat driver is waiting for you. hmmm.... if the rower from their company is waiting for us... they WHO THE HELL IS ROWING US RIGHT NOW!?!?! I say we are already halfway up the river with a rower who said he was with Cobra and that was the end of that phone call. She calls me back a little later, and now we're sure that me and my parents are in a boat with not the correct driver... awesome. We finally get to the bar in the national park and this is where the boat driver's plan gets messed up. I had already arranged to have dinner prepared for us, so now he has to wait, if I hadnt, he would have just taken us back I would have payed him and his scam would have worked, but now he is stuck. We are now waiting for our meal, and the cooks phone rings, and the woman wants to talk to me. She wanted us not to worry, and even if our boat driver leaves us, they will send another to pick us up. Great. Also note, that we are now watching our rower that hijacked us, proceed to take some marijuana out of his pocket and roll up a joint and smoke it.... so now we have to go back with a high pirate captain... hahaha. We finished dinner and desert, got rowed back to the main road in the rain and then I had to pay at the Cobra office... they are who I arranged it with, and they accepted my debit card. We told our high rower to talk to them, because he lied to us. If he worked for Cobra then me paying the company should not be a problem at all. It was definitely a memorable outing. And my dad and I got eaten alive by mosquitoes... literally we each had about 100 bites each. Terrible. But they arent itchy anymore.

Well that was my interesting story about our outings in Dominica. Lets see what else happened... I PASSED 1st Semester!!! I did pretty damn well too. 4 A's and a B is not too shabby at all. And my parents gave me a new iPod nano as a celebration gift. Its lime green and pretty awesome, but I need to buy a big one so all my music can be safe.

While my parents were here, we decided to rent a car so we could go wherever we wanted and not worry so much about time, but what we did not realize is how crazy it is to drive anywhere on this island. Until this week I had always just been a happy passenger... let someone else worry about cliffs and rain gullies that are 2 feet deep, and roads that are not wide enough for two cars to pass on. Holy shit! I'm honestly surprised that my parents got in the car with me the next day. It is crazy stuff driving on this island for sure. No more of that for me.

I successfully moved over one apartment, and the difference is amazing! Probably a good 10 degrees cooler easy. Its got 2 more windows then the other apartment did and great airflow. I'm glad that I moved. Very glad. Now I just need to unpack all my stuff again.

<3 Kristen





























1 comment:

  1. Haha...kidnapped on the Indian River. Sounds exciting :-)

    I think December will probably be the likely visiting time that I shall see you next. We only rack up so much leave at a time, so when August is here, I'll be in the middle of training and only have 5 days available. In December I'll have racked up 15 days (minus any I use), so that will be better.

    ReplyDelete