Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Things that eat your soul

Right now I am fairly certain that Gross Anatomy is eating my soul... Perhaps its because of the sheer amount that we are expected to know already (day 3) or the fact that we have had different sections of the body each of those 3 days to memorize/learn. I never thought I'd see the day where I would want to attend a biochemistry lecture more than an anatomy lecture but its here.

Good news is that tomorrow we are scheduled for two lectures in two new subjects- Histology and Physiology. I can only hope that my optimism that having two new subjects to learn upon the massive amount of things to learn from 3 days will last into said lectures.

Other than the soul eating properties of Gross Anatomy, things have been going pretty well here. It still rains alot- and when it does its always random and of course it cant just sprinkle- it has to pour for a minute and then its done. All the while its still sunny while its raining.... it leads to lots of rainbows.

I bought some used anatomy flash cards today in the shacks (where we eat... chicken or tuna) and they are certainly nice to have. Hopefully tomorrow I will be able to find a Clinically Oriented Anatomy book at the Islandthrift table. It will cost significantly more than the used books at the bookstore... but all of those books are gone and I need one ASAP. So whatever. 200EC, I'll just have to pay it. BTW $1 US = $2.67 EC. Which leads to jars of nutella that have a price tag of $58 EC... nutella is apparently a delicacy in the Caribbean.

I must also admit that in this short 3 day period I have studied for what seems like half the time I would have spent studying for a final at Augustana (in one subject). Today alone I studied for 5.5 hours which is in addition to the 4 hours that I spent in lecture. Thats 9.5 hours of studying in one day and yesterday I think I put in a 10-11 hour day of studying. Its absolutely draining. I just hope that I am able to retain what I do try to study. Theres nothing like feeling like a Jack of All trades and master of none on DAY3!!!!!

Food here seems to change prices daily. I got a chicken wrap for 8ec one day and then today the same chicken wrap at the same vendor was 15ec... They seem to make up prices on the fly. I have been trying to explore the different booths but mostly like Nelson's chicken because it is the best. Unfortunately everyone else also likes Nelson's chicken which leads to long lines. At least I'm used to eating a diet that consists of mostly chicken anyhow ;-). (<3 u mom... and your chicken).

I keep trying to put pictures up here- or anywhere on the internet but my computer keeps disagreeing with me. It will be all but done and then give me an Upload failed notice... stupid internet. But I will keep trying. The school isnt really anything spectacular to look at but if you take the bus to the surrounding areas its really quite majestic.

1 comment:

  1. You should make your mom buy you Nutella and send it. I make my mom send me Boetje's and Kitchen Cooked chips.

    ReplyDelete